How to Make a Request for Access to Records

To make a request for access to records, you must send a written request to the public body that has the records. You must provide enough detail for an experienced officer or employee of the public body to identify the record.

To submit your request:

  • for records from government departments, please use the Manitoba Government's Online Request Portal
  • for other public bodies, use the FIPPA application form, or
  • write directly to the public body outlining your request under the act.

You can find a list of public bodies, and where to send your request here.

When making your request, please

  • give a clear description of the records you wish to access
  • be specific - include a date range if possible (e.g. between January 10 and March 1, 2021)
  • include your name, address and phone or fax number, or email address so that the public body can contact you
  • indicate that your request is being made as a request for access to a record under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

How to Make a Complaint

If you are not satisfied with the public body's response to your request for records, request for correction of personal information, or believe your personal information has not been handled in accordance with FIPPA, you can make a complaint to the Manitoba Ombudsman's Office. For information on your right of complaint under FIPPA, please visit the Manitoba Ombudsman's website or call 204-982-9130 (in Winnipeg) or 1-800-665-0531 (toll free in Manitoba).